Government launches Trade Infrastructure for Export Scheme
- The Union Ministry of Commerce & Industry has launched Trade Infrastructure for Export Scheme for developing export linked infrastructure in states with a view to promoting outbound shipments.
- It would focus on projects like customs checkpoints, last mile connectivity, border haats and integrated check posts.
Ist Indian-orgin woman to go to space was born on March 17
- The first Indian-origin woman in space, Kalpana Chawla was born on March 17, 1962.
- The astronaut died with six crew members on her second mission aboard the Columbia spacecraft in 2003.
Captain Amarinder Singh sworn in as the Chief Minister of Punjab
- Congress secured 77 out of the 117 assembly seats.
- Aruna Choudhary and Razia Sultana were sworn in as ministers of state with independent charge.Apart from Amarinder Singh, cabinet ministers Navjot Singh Sidhu, Manpreet Badal, Brahm Mohindra, Charanjit Channi, Rana Gurjit and Tripat Bajwa also took oath.
Nongthombam Biren Singh appointed as Chief Minister of Manipur
- BJP leader Nongthombam Biren Singh got appointed as Manipur’s chief minister.
- Y Joykumar Singh of the National People’s Party was sworn in as the deputy chief minister. This is the first time when BJP has formed government in Manipur.
Union Cabinet approves National Health Policy
- The Union Cabinet approved the National Health Policy 2017 aimed at providing affordable healthcare to all.
- The draft policy aims to raise public healthcare expenditure to 2.5% of GDP from the current 1% and to ensure availability of 2 hospital beds per 1,000 population. It also proposes free drugs, free diagnostics, and free emergency services.
Indrani Das wins top prize in Regeneron Science Talent Search competition
- Indian-American teenager Indrani Das (17) has won the top prize of $2,50,000 in the Regeneron Science Talent Search competition in the United States (US).
- More that 1,700 students took part in the contest.
Every polling booth to have VVPAT machines by 2019 LS polls
- The Election Commission has announced that it will make the voting system watertight by introducing Voter-Verifiable Paper Audit Trail (VVPAT) by the 2019 General Elections.
- The EC has asked for an additional fund of ₹3,174 crore for the purchase of VVPAT machines.
Amazon’s India head Amit Agarwal promoted as Senior VP
- Amazon has promoted its India head Amit Agarwal to the post of Senior Vice President (SVP).
- He will continue to head Amazon India. In April last year, Agarwal was inducted in the core team of Amazon Founder and CEO Jeff Bezos.