Ram Nath Kovind elected as India’s 14th President
- Former governor Ram Nath Kovind was elected as India’s 14th President.
- Ram Nath Kovind was born on October 1, 1945, in Kanpur Dehat, Uttar Pradesh. He was an advocate by profession and had practiced in Supreme Court and Delhi High Court.
Sanjay Kothar has been appointed as Secretary to president elect Ram Nath Kovind
- Sanjay Kothar has been appointed as Secretary to President elect Ram Nath Kovind.
- Currently, he is the Chairman of Public Enterprises Selection Board (PESB).
Arun Jaitley introduces bill to replace Banking Regulation Ordinance
- A bill to authorise the RBI to direct banking companies to resolve the problem of stressed assets was introduced today.
Environment Ministry approves Projects in 3 States under NAFCC
- The Union Environment Ministry approved three projects for climate change adaptation in three states viz. Rajasthan, Gujarat and Sikkim.
- NAFCC is a flagship Scheme of Union Government launched in 2015 to provide 100% central grant to the State Governments for implementing climate change adaptation projects.
First female President of the Supreme Court (SC) in United Kingdom (U.K) – Brenda Marjorie Hale
- Brenda Marjorie Hale, the senior-most judge of United Kingdom (UK) has been appointed as the first female President of the Supreme Court (SC).
- She will take charge as the head of Britain’s top judging panel in September following the retirement of current President, Lord Neuberger.
Pradhan Mantri Vaya Vandana Yojana (PMVVY) pension scheme launched
- The Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley has launched a new pension scheme Pradhan Mantri Vaya Vandana Yojana (PMVVY) for the senior citizens in New Delhi.
NEET Paper to be set same in all languages from next year
- Prakash Javadekar (Union Human Resource Development Minister) stated that from next year onwards, the question paper for the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) will be the same in all languages.
- The move was taken after many candidates stated that the paper was set tough in various languages.
UR Rao, man behind India’s first satellite passes away at 85
- Former chief of the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), Udupi Ramachandra Rao, passed away.
- UR Rao was an Indian scientist, who is credited with the development and launch of India’s first satellite, Aryabhatta.
TR Zeliang sworn – in as the new chief minister of Nagaland
- TR Zeliang, a leader of the Nagaland People’s Front, has been sworn-in as the new chief minister of Nagaland by the Governor PB Acharya.
Arunachal Pradesh becomes India’s first secretariat to be fully under wireless coverage
- The Arunachal Pradesh State Civil Secretariat has become the India’s first secretariat to be fully under wireless coverage enabling end-to-end wireless connectivity.
Union Govt. launches quality mark logo for milk and milk products
- Union Agriculture Ministerh launched National Dairy Development Board’s (NDDB) quality logo, which will signify safe and quality milk and milk products from dairy cooperatives.
Waterways to connect India & Bangladesh
- Bangladesh and India have signed a MoU to connect the North-East and West Bengal with Bangladesh through new waterways.
- The project would be operational in the current year and boost the trade and passenger movement between the countries.
India launches first R&D facility for high – end fuels, gas
- India has launched its first petroleum Research & Development (R&D) facility for testing high-end BS-VI quality fuel emissions.
Around 4 lakh saplings planted
- The New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) aims to plant a total of 10 lakh indigenous trees such as babul, ber, amaltas, and peepal this monsoon.
- Till now, over 4 lakh saplings have been planted.
Maharashtra approves bank guarantees for 4 Metro projects
- Maharashtra government approved bank guarantees and loan-related sanctions for four Mumbai Metro projects.This will help formalise the loan agreements with Asian Development Bank and Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank which are funding the projects.