Sushma Swaraj- The People’s politician passes away at 67, here is everything you need to know about her political career and achievements
Sushma Swaraj, former External affairs minister passes away at 10: 15 PM, 6 August 2019 at the age of 67 in AIIMS hospital as she suffered a major heart attack. Being one of the most prominent faces of the party, she was praised by all for her outstanding contribution towards external affairs.
Sushma Swaraj was born on 14 February 1952 at Ambala cantonment to Shri Haridev Sharma and Shrimati Laxmi Devi. Before a few hours of her death, she expressed her happiness in a tweet about the scrapping of Article 370. Unfortunately, this was the last tweet by Sushma Swaraj. She is praised throughout the country and the world for her 4-decade long political career.
Last Tweet by Sushma Swaraj:
The entire country is in shock and sorrow for the loss of this gem whose dedication and hard work helped many lives.
Here are some glimpses about the political career and achievements by Sushma Swaraj.
- In 1973, Sushma Swaraj started practising as an advocate in the Supreme Court of India.
- In 1975, Swaraj joined George Fernandes’s legal defence team.
- She was an active participant in the Jayaprakash Narayan’s Total Revolution Movement and further joined the Bharatiya Janata Party.
- In 1977, she got elected as MLA from Ambala Cantonment seat and became a cabinet minister in Haryana Assembly when she was 25 years old.
- Swaraj became the State President in Haryana in 1979.
- Another milestone happened in 1990 when she was elected as Rajya Sabha MP.
- Swaraj also became the Union Cabinet Minister, Information and Broadcasting in 1996.
- Sushma Swaraj has served as Chief Minister OF Delhi from 12 October 1998 to 3 December 1998.
- In 2000, Sushma Swaraj became the Minister of Information and Broadcasting.
- 2003 was a significant year when Swaraj became Minister of Health and Family Welfare and Minister of Parliamentary Affairs.
- In 2014, Swaraj started serving as the Minister of External Affairs and helped countless people irrespective of their nationality using the power of social media.
- She is the first woman spokesperson of a national-level political party and First Woman Union Cabinet Minister.
- She was honoured with the Best Speaker award by the Haryana State Assembly.
- Swaraj is the first-ever and only woman MP to receive the Outstanding Parliamentarian award. She received this award twice in 2008 and 2010.