10 facts about Manohar Parrikar- Pride of the nation
On March 17, 2019 India lost an extremely talented son Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar. A person known for his simplicity and humbleness throughout the country passed away due to advanced pancreatic cancer. It is a sad news for the entire nation that such a hardworking and dedicated personality is no more with us.
Here are some interesting facts about Manohar Parrikar which makes him the favourite amongst everyone in the country.
1. Manohar Gopalkrishna Prabhu Parrikar was born on December 13, 1955 in Mapusa, Goa.
2. He completed his graduation in metallurgical engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay in 1978.
3. He was an RSS pracharak from Goa initially, however Parrikar was defeated by Congress candidate Harish Zantye in the 1991 Lok Sabha polls in his debut election.
4. He was elected to the Legislative Assembly of Goa in 1994 as a member of the BJP.
5. Manohar Parrikar was the India's first Indian Institute of Technology alumnus to serve as the Chief Minister in 2000 when he was elected first and his tenure lasted until 27 February 2002. On 5 June 2002, he was re-elected and served another term as Chief Minister.
6. He lost his wife Medha Parrikar to Cancer in 2001 but he immediately resumed to work after the rituals were performed.
7. Manohar Parrikar was chosen as the Minister of Defense replacing Arun Jaitley.
8. He played a key role in strategizing 2016 surgical strike against terror launch pads in PoK.
9. Manohar Parrikar eliminated Goa’s illegal mining rackets and also cancelled license of several traders. For this deed he was branded as “Goa’s Mr Clean”.
10. Manohar Parrikar suggested Narendra Modi’s name to be the face of the party in 2013.
He has been a down to earth personality and is well known for traveling in auto rikshaw and economy class.
Manohar Parrikar has served the country and performed all the duties proudly till his last breath. This great personality shall be remembered in the Indian history for all his noble deeds.