Tips to Prepare for CMAT 2020
Common Management Admission Test (CMAT) has been taken over by the National Testing Agency (NTA) in the recent past. Following this development, NTA is now responsible for fairly conducting the exam. The CMAT 2020 exam will admit students in 1000 stated colleges across the country. To get admission to any of these colleges, candidates have to apply to those institutions with their CMAT scores. However, the test is not the final step in the admission process. Some colleges have a specific system, wherein they conduct Personal Interview (PI) and Group Discussion (GD) for the students shortlisted from the test. So, one should have a considerable amount of knowledge concerning the admission process for the desired college.
CMAT 2020 dates were revealed by NTA on 21 August; however, the official brochure is yet to come. The aspiring candidates must keep in mind this schedule. The important dates are listed below-
CMAT Eligibility Criteria
If one intends to appear for any competitive exam, the first thing worthy of consideration is the eligibility criteria. This refers to the prerequisites that you must meet to sit for the test. Following are the CMAT eligibility criteria-
- The candidate has to be a citizen of India.
- The candidate should hold a bachelor's degree in any discipline from a reputed institute.
- Aspirants who are appearing for their final year examination can also apply for the CMAT exam. However, they should make sure that their graduation results should be declared before the counselling process begins.
- Lastly, there is no age limit for the exam.
CMAT Examination Pattern
Now that you know whether or not you fulfil the eligibility criteria for the CMAT exam, you can proceed ahead to know what the pattern of the exam looks like. The pattern of the exam helps to understand and design a proper methodology for preparation. Following are the highlights from the pattern of the exam-
- Mode- CMAT 2020 will be conducted through the Computer Based Test (CBT) mode.
- The number of sections- The test has a total of four sections, namely, Quantitative Techniques and Data Interpretation, General Awareness, Logical Reasoning, and Language Comprehension.
- The number of questions- A total of 100 questions is asked in the entire test. The sectional division is of 25 questions each.
- Medium- The test is taken only in one medium, that is, English.
- Time Duration- The test is spanned across a time of 3 hours.
- Marking Scheme- Examinee gives 4 marks for each correct answer. However, 1 mark is also deducted for each wrong attempt.
CMAT must be opted by those who wish to secure their place in a Management Institute for post-graduation. For this, you must be aware of the CMAT syllabus well-in-advance. The syllabus gives a definite direction to your preparation and helps you in channelizing your energy in the concerned areas. Let’s see what features in the syllabus of CMAT-
Quantitative Techniques and Data Interpretation-The basic idea of this section is to assess the mathematical abilities of a candidate and to know his/her proficiency at speed maths. Some topics that form a part of this section are Ratios, Profit and Loss, Time and Distance, Geometry, Algebra, etc. In the Data Interpretation part, data is presented in a tabulated or chart form. Based on this representation, questions are asked.
General Awareness-This section assesses the candidate’s knowledge of what is happening in the country or around the world. Every significant happening under the sky forms a part of this section. Economic Development, Sports, International Affairs, etc. must be studied under this.
Logical Reasoning-It evaluates the mental ability of an applicant by asking questions on Reason-Assertion, Syllogism, Blood Relations, Venn Diagrams, Statement-Conclusion, etc.
Language Comprehension-Language Proficiency of a candidate is tested through the questions from this section. Comprehension Passages, Synonyms, Antonyms, Error Detection, Error Correction, etc. form a part of the CMAT syllabus.
CMAT Preparation Tips
Now with the pattern and syllabus of the exam at hand, the next essential thing is following certain tips for increasing the effectiveness of the preparation process. Following are some tips that can be incorporated in the study plan to clear the exam with ease-
1. Quantitative Techniques and Data Interpretation-
- This section features a lot of mathematical questions, which require an understanding of basic and higher-order maths. The basic maths should be practiced from the NCERT books as they play a key role in forming a solid ground for advanced mathematical problems. Post this, practice the higher-order questions from the previous years’ papers or mock test. On Eduwhere.in, you can avail mock tests that help in the preparation process.
- Also, note down important formulas at one place to revise them time and again.
2. General Awareness-
- The awareness of the general happenings is brought by reading the newspaper regularly. When you read the newspaper, segregate the news based on different sections, such as National Politics, International Affairs, Sports, etc. Make your notes section-wise in pointers for the sake of easy memorization. Using colored pens helps some students to memorize better because of the visual effect.
3. Logical Reasoning-
- This section is purely based on the practice that a candidate puts in. The more you practice, the better you will be at it. The aim is to ease yourself around complex problems by solving them again and again. Take as many mock tests as you can and refer to the papers from the past to get acquainted with the types of questions that can possibly be asked.
4. Language Comprehension-
- You can practice this paper while studying the newspaper for General Awareness. Do monitor your reading efficiency and speed and take down all the new words in a notebook. Revise these words to remember them better.
- Also, for the error detection/correction part, you can either brush up your basic grammar from scratch or observe the sentence structure when you read something. This gives you a basic idea of what is right and what is wrong.
CMAT 2020 can be cracked if you approach it with persistent efforts. To know your current status of knowledge, keep taking national level mock tests that are available on Eduwhere.in. These help in monitoring your progress and helping you know which section needs what kind of attention.