Current Affairs: Govinda Rajulu Chintala- New Chairman of NABARD
The National Bank of Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) has named Govindarajulu Chintala, the state's senior agriculture scientist as their next chairman. He currently serves as the Deputy Managing Director of NABARD based in Mumbai.
Chintala joined NABARD as a grade B officer in 1985 and held several positions across the country before handling the position of deputy director of medicine in 2019.
Here are some quick facts about NABARD that you should know:
- NABARD was established on the recommendations of B.S Shivaramman Committee on 12 July 1982 to implement the national bank of agriculture and rural development act 1981.
- Appex development financial institute in India.
- Active in developing Financial Inclusion Policy.
- With the headquarters based in Mumbai, the purpose is development assistance and poverty reduction.
- The first chairman of NABARD is Shri M Rama Krishanayya.
- NABARD is also known for its 'SHG Bank Linkage Programme' which encourages India's banks to lend self-help groups (SHGs).