MHCET 2020 Preparation Tips
Maharashtra Common Entrance Test or MHT CET or MH CET is an annual entrance exam conducted by the State Common Entrance Test Cell Mumbai for admission to Engineering and Technology programmes (BE/B.Tech) and Pharmacy programmes (B.Pharma/PharmD). The exam was scrapped in 2013 for admission to BE and B.Tech courses. However, it was again started in 2016 and from 2018, MHT CET was made compulsory for admission in the engineering colleges in Maharashtra.
Every year, around three lakh candidates appear for the exam, making it one of the most important and competitive exams for aspiring engineers. Around 350 institutes accept MHT CET scores in the state. Candidates are allowed to choose their preferred institute during the counseling and seat allotment process. Tough competition and the difficulty level of the exam make aspirants wonder how to prepare for MHT CET 2020 to not just crack it but also score a seat in one of the best engineering colleges in Maharashtra.
MHT CET Exam Pattern and Syllabus
Before making the MHT CET preparation plan, candidates must know the exam pattern and syllabus. Given below is a brief overview of the MHT CET exam pattern and syllabus.
MHT CET exam pattern
As per the exam pattern explained by the exam conducting body:
The exam will be conducted in the computer-based test (CBT) format
Questions will be asked from syllabus of Maharashtra State Board of Secondary and Higher Secondary Education
While setting up the question paper, class 11 syllabus will be given 20% weightage and class 12 syllabus will get 80% weightage
As most of the questions will be application-based, there will be no negative marking in MHT CET exam
Multiple choice questions with 4 options will be asked in the exam
MHT CET Exam Pattern for engineering students
|Papers||Subject||No. of MCQs (Class XI)||No. of MCQs (Class Class XII)||Marks||Total Marks||Duration|
|Paper-1||Mathematics||10||40||2 marks for every correct answer||100||90|
|Paper-2||Physics||10||40||1 mark for every correct answer||100||90|
|Paper-2||Chemistry||10||40||1 mark for every correct answer||100||90|
MHT CET syllabus – Important Topics
- Organic compounds containing nitrogen
- Surface chemistry
- Redox reactions
- Nature of chemical bond
- p-Block elements Group 15 elements
- s-Block elements (Alkali and Alkaline Earth Metals)
- Basic principles and techniques in Organic Chemistry
- Wave motion
- Electrons and photons
- Interference and diffraction
- Ray Optics
- Differential equations
- Integral calculus
- Trigonometric functions
- Continuity and differentiability
- Vectors and 3D geometry
- Three-dimensional geometry
MHT CET preparation tips
With the difficulty level equivalent to JEE Main, MHT CET needs strategic preparation that can help you beat the competition and crack the exam. Here we provide you with some helpful MHT CET preparation tips to score well in the exam and get admission into the college of your dreams.
Strengthen your concepts
Instead of worrying and thinking too much about the competition, you should focus on strengthening your concepts of physics, chemistry and maths. There is no shortcut to success. Choose the best study material to understand the concepts well and apply the same in the exams. Along with the practice tests given in the textbooks, you should also solve subject-wise mock tests to check how well you have understood the concepts.
Subject-wise preparation tips for MHT CET 2020
- To prepare Physics for MHT CET, you need to cover all HSC textbook concepts. In addition to this, you can also refer to some additional study material like Marvel book.
- Prepare only the general formulae given in the state board books as direct questions are asked on these formulas.
- Study one block at a time for instance, when preparing Motion, study it completely covering circular, rotational, gravitation and SHM together. It will simplify things by saving you from the complexities of knowing multiple formulas.
- HSC textbooks are enough to prepare Chemistry for the exam. But make sure you go through the book in detail while focusing on organic chemistry.
- To prepare organic chemistry, you need to mug up the named reactions.
- Spend at least 15-20 minutes every day on the revision of formulae and chemical reactions.
- To prepare Mathematics for the engineering entrance exam, you should refer to HSC book solved examples. You can also refer to some more books to practice more.
- Usually, in this section, questions are asked almost from every chapter. So, try to master all chapters with more attention on integral and differential calculus and their application as more questions are asked from these topics.
- Spend at least 1 hour on Maths excluding calculus as you need separate practice for this.
- Strengthen mind calculations to minimize your solving time and quickly answer the questions.
Choose the best study material
The selection of the right MHT CET study material is essential to ensure your success in the exam. Be it the textbooks or the mock tests, you need to ensure that you go with nothing but the best. Also, ensure that you stick to a limited number of books and online testing platforms as referring to several books will only increase your stress by creating more pressure. Here are some of the best books for MHT CET 2020 preparation:
|Name of Books and Author||Publication|
|Marvel Physics for Medical & Engineering Entrance Exam by A. J. Bapat||Marvel Prakashan|
|MH-CET Engineering Solved Papers 2015-2004 with 5 Complete Mock Tests by Various Experts||Arihant Publications|
|Pradnya’s Objective Mathematics by C. S. Patil||Nikita Publication, Latur|
|Chemistry for MHT CET (MCQ) by Mayur Mehta and Chitra Joshi||Marvel Publication|
|Marvel MHT-CET Mathematics by Hemant G. Ainapure||Marvel Publication|
MHT CET last-minute preparation tips
With MHT CET 2020 scheduled to be conducted from April 13 to April 23, 2020, there are only a few weeks left for the exam. This is the time to start making last-minute preparation plan with more attention to the revision and practice. To make it easier, here are some MHT CET last-minute preparation tips:
- Focus on understanding the concepts instead of rote learning
- Evaluate yourself regularly by solving mock tests
- Focus on clearing sectional cut-off while solving tests
- Avoid using any shortcut you are not sure of
- Don't ignore any subject or section during final revision just because you are strong in it
- Adhere to the exam guidelines even when solving the mock tests
Follow these simple MHT CET preparation tips and get ready for the competition. If you are worried about the right platform to analyze and improve your preparation, Eduwhere Edge is the right solution for you. This is your access pass to all online mock tests for the entrance exam along with full solutions to help you analyze and improve your preparation and succeed in MHT CET 2020.
Visit to start preparing for your upcoming Banking, Management, RRB, Medical, Engineering, Law and other exams.