Recommended books and study material for CAT Exam
What is the right study material for CAT exam preparation? This question is one of the common reasons of stress among CAT aspirants. When preparing for competitive exams, having such worries about the selection of the best books is natural. With plenty of books with a minor difference in the syllabus available for the exam preparation, the selection of the right study material further gets difficult. Moreover, the selection of the right books has also got essential after the modification in the syllabus. There are only a few books that have been updated as per the revised CAT exam pattern.
In this article, we provide you with the list of best CAT study material along with the right techniques to get the maximum benefit from them.
CAT preparation books by Arun Sharma
You can find CAT books for all sections. The best part of Arun Sharma books is that these have syllabus based on both the past and present patterns along with the details of the key changes. In addition to the syllabus, the book also consists of practice CAT questions with the right techniques to solve them.
Section-wise CAT preparation books
Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC)
With 34 questions, VARC is one of the most important sections in the CAT. Out of 34 questions, 24 are from RC and 10 questions are based on Verbal Ability. Best book for preparation of this section is Arun Sharma Verbal Ability books that help you with both the syllabus coverage as well as practice.
Other books include:
1. 'How to Prepare for Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension for CAT' by Arun Sharma & Meenakshi Upadhyay
2. Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for the CAT by Nishit K Sinha
3. ‘Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension’ by Ajay Singh
4. 30 Days to a More Powerful Vocabulary Mass Market Paperback by Wilfred Funk & Norman Lewis/ Simon & Schuster
Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DILR)
DILR has a share of 32 questions out of 100 questions in the CAT exam. To prepare this section, you need to focus on conceptual clarity and consistent practice of different types of questions.
Best books include:
1. How to prepare for Data Interpretation for CAT by Arun Sharma
2. Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation for the CAT by Nishit K Sinha (5th Edition)
3. CAT Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning by Gautam Puri
4. Data Interpretation & Data Sufficiency by Ananta Ashisha
With 34 questions, this is also an important section in CAT. As per the revised CAT exam pattern, the question paper will have 25 MCQs with negative marking and 9 Non-MCQs without negative marking. To cover this section, along with the textbook, you also need good practice books.
Best books for Quantitative Ability
1. CAT 2018 Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning by Gautam Puri
2. Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation for the CAT by Nishit K. Sinha
3. Data Interpretation & Data Sufficiency by Ananta Ashisha
4. How to Prepare for Data Interpretation for CAT by Arun Sharma
In addition to the books, to work on your reading speed and vocabulary, you should also make a habit of reading. Newspapers and magazines can help you with this. Some of the best newspapers and magazines suggested by the toppers include:
How to cover CAT study material effectively?
• Start with the study material you got from the coaching institute. Even if you go through this, you might not require additional books.
• If you don't want to depend only on the study material provided by the coaching institute, ask your faculty about the book suggestions. Get only one book for each subject.
• Go through the books and make notes. Focus on understanding the concepts along with their application than cramming them. Make a list of the topics that you don't get from the books.
• Search for right online learning platforms and watch recorded video lectures from experts.
• Once you are through with the syllabus, check your preparation level by solving practice tests.
If you feel that going through these books is not enough to strengthen your concepts for the exam, you can also opt for online CAT preparation. Watching video lectures by experts and solving online mock tests are the options to master the topics and analyze your preparation regularly.
Whatever study material you refer for CAT preparation, just ensure that you don’t overdo it. Referring to too many books will only create more confusion and pressure, so get only a few books that too as per the latest exam pattern. Once you have covered the syllabus, focus more on solving practice tests to understand the areas that need more attention.